Week
13
27/03/13 Le
Boulou Got here quite early and parked up. Decided to walk the
short distance to McDonalds where I knew I could get free wifi.
Realised I had a germ because I found it very hard going and got
quite out of breath, it seemed a long way. Just had a coffee didn't
fancy anything else. Couldn't wait to get back. It was packed when
I got there, glad I arrived when I did. They had big plastic bags
placed on trees to trap the processional caterpillars. Hadn't seen
this before, but had seen quite a few of their nests along the route.
free
 |
| The new processional catapillar catcher! |
28/03/13 Millau 49364:194: 2625: N44-05-44
E3-05-09 Before I got to Millau I found a town called Le
Cavalier which had a Knights Templar hospital. It was very narrow
and couldn't find a space to park, even though it was supposed to
have an aire, didn't find it. Proceeded on to Millau, found a view
point just as I was going down the hill into and what a scene it was
before me. Although misty I could see the magnificent bridge in the
distance the Viaduc de Millau and the beginning of the Gorges Du
Tarne and the city of Millau spread out before me. Plenty of parking
space on this viewpoint.
 |
| La Cavalier |
 |
| The Bridge, Millau and the start of the Gorge du Tarn |
Went down into town and found 2 Aires, one
was the service point and the other was a big space with sections for
motorhome parking. Got filled up quite soon. Parked next to a UK
van to find out it was Bill from wild camping UK, I have logged on to
his website since. free
29/03/13 Ispagnac 49411;47;2672 N44-22-14 E3-32-12
Bit
tight for parking but there was free water. Being Good Friday
I walked into town not expecting many people there, however the
market was in full swing and lots of people milling around. All the
shops were open, I was quite taken aback. I bought the usual
baguette, walked around. The local industry was tanning and glove
making, I took a picture of the gloves and the price was horrific
€125! Having done my short tour I went back to the van, ready for
my trip down the Gorge.
 |
| €134 |
 |
| €84 |
 |
| Map of the area |
There being no coaches on the road and very
little local traffic I was able to poodle along for nearly 2.5 hours
indulging in the breath taking views along the way. The medieval
towns along and route, that you could visit, or look at the small
towns the other side of the river, couldn't see how you got to them.
One had a pulley system couldn't quite make out what went across
there! So many pictures and I could park almost anywhere along the
route. Try doing that in August which was the last time I came near
this gorge. Found several service Aires along the Gorge, but no where
to stop overnight. Missed going into the mediaeval town of, must go
back next time.
 |
| Illustrations god, my French not good enough! |
Got to Ispagnac aire and settled in quite nicely.
There was a lot of traffic going past and I realised it was to a
parking space nearer to the centre of the small medieval town. free
 |
| Ispagnac Aire |
30/03/13 Ispagnac Decided
to stay another night. Found the Info Office, walked around the
church, which wasn't lit very well, but two ladies doing the flowers
for the service on Sunday. The weather was a mixture of sunshine,
rain, cloudy and sunshine again. free
31/03/13 Puy
de Dome(49581):Chatel
Guyon:49597:186:2858 N45-55-22
E30-03-57 The Info office lady had rung Puy de Dome for me
to ask whether it was open and whether there was any snow there, so I
got going up towards Clermont Ferrand and the Dome. I went through
Mende and the last of the gorge, the weather wasn't brilliant, very
misty and you couldn't see far. Shame. I think it was also to do
with wood smoke. The terrain was like the Yorkshire moors, pity the
weather was still so poor.
 |
| Add caption |
 |
| Looking back from hill towards Ispagnac |
When
I got to the Dome how it had changed since I was last there. I was
hoping to stay the night, but I found a whole new car park, a big
station for the train to take you to the top. The motorhome park was
the furthest away from the station, much to any disabled persons
dismay. The train wouldn't run until at least May. I said my
information was that it was open. “Oh yes, only if you want to
walk to the top”. No way, I trudged back up the hill. I had picked
up a pamphlet on the new train for future information. I found the
nearest aire and proceeded to drive there. Very disappointed not to
have been able to go to the top, as on my last visit which apparently
was four years ago. And, it was during August.
 |
| moorlike countryside along route |
 |
| Kites or Buzzards over the trees |
 |
| Slight smattering of snow |
 |
| Aire along route |
 |
| The parking spaces now at Puy de Dome, motorhome parking furthest away more or less top centre of picture |
 |
| The new Railway Station, no buses now to get you to the top in order to see the volcanoes, but it is a sight to see! Did get some literature and you can find it on the web |
 |
| Sunset at Briare |
 |
| Vast French plains along route |
Found
the aire at Chatel Guyon, €5 payable at the local Municipal Police station opposite
which I found was shut, didn't open either the next morning, so they
didn't get paid.
01/04/13 Diesel €60 49647:Briare:49761:164:3022 N47-37-54
E2-44-23
Left reasonably early the next morning, and the one
and only time so far, I pulled onto the wrong side of the road.
Fright, was on the wrong side on a cross roads. Hells bells. Must
still be asleep. Got out of it quickly when there was no traffic and
proceeded up towards Briare on the N7. It was on the rive/canal bank
and to get to it I had to go across a narrow bridge. It didn't give
any weight so having watched one motorhome go across, I proceeded to
follow him when he was off it! The parking space was large, however
lots of French people were out for an evening walk, as it was a
beautiful evening. Had a good night here.
 |
| Don't actually remember which town this was, may be Laon, me trying to find my way out! |
 |
| Laon, looking back, drove round that tower when I was there! |
02/04/13 Catillon
Sur Sambre 50000;239:3261 N50-04-37 E3-38-39
Found myself going up
towards Paris. Instead of trying to go off somewhere else after the
first blocked road of the day put me a bit of a flurry, I thought I'd
just plod on and enjoy the journey. Going through Fontainebleau was
quite exciting, past the palace and then through the main town, was
was full of people going about their daily business and no doubt a
lot of tourists amongst them, I had passed several coaches along the
roadway, where I had parked last time I was here to go into the
palace. Eventually got to the N2 and worked my way up towards the
Belgian border. Tried to find the aire at Laon and got caught up in
the ramparts, going round in circles because I couldn't understand
the signs. However, I found a coach car park took a few deep
breathes and then found the way down into the surrounding
countryside. The road back around Laon to the north was blocked with
traffic so again, deep breath and went round much to TomTom's
amusement!
 |
| The aire, motorhomes with noisy dogs! not the one in the front! |
Eventually got to Catillon Sur Sambre when I had the
right co-ordinates, didn't park along the canal, but went to the very
large car park a bit further on which was signposted. There was one
very large RV with two dogs and another elderly gentleman, also with
two dogs. Worked out the long journey for tomorrow going through
Belgium into Holland to Koningshof where I was to meet Brian and
Barbara and the Zodiacs for the first part of their tour to Holland.
They had block booked, but I had Camping Cheques and thank goodness I
had, it would have cost me €28 plus electricity!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment